The Coat of Arms
The present coat-of-arms is the second symbol adopted by the Fraternity and was authorized at the 1921 Convention in Raleigh, North Carolina. It was designed by Robert Ashley, Washington & Lee ‘07, who served the Fraternity as National President and Editor of The Carnation.
The coat-of-arms consists of a shield bearing a field of green. The upper portion of the shield is charged with three smaller shields bearing, from left to right, a lute, a knot, and lamp. The lower portion of the shield contains a pyramid. The central portion of the shield bears a silver chevron with a small shield displaying a book and the year “1899”. On each side of the shield are mantlings of purple. Beneath the shield is a streamer bearing the words “Delta Sigma Phi” in Greek. At the crest of shield is the Sphinx. Affixed to the breast of the Sphinx, and outstretched over the shield, are scarabaeus wings.